A Little Catching Up

Its been a little while since I blogged about anything, so I thought I should probably catch you all up a little bit.

I’ve been working on the Good Fortune mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter for the last several weeks, pretty much exclusively. I went through many different border ideas because I wasn’t crazy about how my color choices played out in the border that was originally designed. It was all just a little too “Go Vikings!” for my taste. No matter what, every time I looked at that overwhelming purple and gold it just screamed football to me and that is just not what I was going for.

So then I tried this.

That seemed a bit much, so then I thought about this.

But that seemed too washed out. So I settled on this for that round of the border.

Then came the final outer border. I just pieced together a bunch of neutrals. My plan was to have neutral squares for the corners, but of course, once I looked at that, it seemed a bit blah. So… on to trying to figure out what to do with the corners.

These are just some of the options I considered, but ultimately, this is where I landed with it.

This is what the corner blocks look like all layed out together. I think this might make a really interesting block to do sometime as a quilt unto itself.

So the Good Fortune Top is officially finished. Measuring in at about 82 inches square, this is the biggest quilt I have ever made. I will be looking for someone to long arm this for me as this is way too big for me to tackle on my own. I don’t even have a place big enough in my house to lay it out on the floor to sandwich it, LOL. I’m excited that it will be big enough to use on my queen size bed, though. Even if the colors don’t match the room at all.

So there you have it, that’s the majority of what I’ve been working on for the last several weeks. I have one other smaller finish that I will share soon as well, but this is enough for today.

Christmas is over so I can finally share these...

In an effort to have everything done way ahead of time for Christmas this year, I have had these little gifts finished since about mid October.

I knitted this little sweater from a free pattern on Ravelry for my niece’s little boy. I added a couple of inches to the length because it just seemed a little short. Extra length will come in handy with a growing 2.5 year old anyway. The pattern was really pretty easy to follow, but if I were to make another of these, I would probably do the placket in the front slightly differently. It was really hard to match those stripes up, and I didn’t get them matched all that well, but it is what it is. I adore this peacock blue color and these jewel tones together. It feels so thick and soft and cozy. It knitted up in a hurry since it was super bulky weight yarn.

I have niece and a great niece who are literally 20 days apart in age, so it comes in handy when sewing for them. I can just sort of draft one thing and then make two of them with some slight variations. More variations were needed for Christmas sewing since one lives in a northern climate and the other livers in a southern climate. I drafted the tops for these myself. Just a basic high yoke bodice with a gathered lower portion. Instead of gathering, I decided to use smocking to add some embellishment and detail. The bottoms are both made from the Bella Sunshine Designs Rose Bubble Shorts Pattern. I LOVE this little pattern. I hacked it into long pants for the one who lives up here in the cold north. The long set top is made from flannel and the pants are a small wale corduroy.

The short set is made from a sweet pink quilting cotton that has been hoarded in my stash for way too long.

I’m so glad to finally be able to share these little sets. The smocking was fun to do, but I have to take it in smaller doses than I used to, my eyes are getting too old for marathon embroidery sessions any more.

I've Been Through the Desert on a Quilt With No Name

“It felt good to be out of the rain…” Oh sorry… Anyway.

i’ve been working on this fun little number lately. I had several half square triangle (HST) units and four patch units left over from previous projects, so one night I just started throwing them up on my design wall and this is what emerged. I started sewing the smaller HST’s into four patch units yesterday and I realized this morning that I have a few of the four patches turned the wrong direction, so I will have to fix that. I’m trying to decide on a name for it, but I’m coming up blank. I thought about calling it “Throwing Up Leftovers”, but, you know, that didn’t seem like the best name for a quilt, LOL. Anyone have any ideas? Because, clearly I’m out of them, LOL.

Good Fortune - Quiltville's Mystery for this year

My last post talked about last year’s mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter. I’m also participating this year and as of right now we are four clues in. I changed up the color palette a little from Bonnie’s original color scheme. Her original colors were red, jade green, blue and orange along with neutrals in whites and creams. I changed the jade green to lime green, the blue to purple and the orange to yellow. Hoping it all goes together ok. I wanted mine to be just a little different than the thousands of others that will be out there at the end of the mystery. Here is a rundown of all of the clues so far. I can’t give sizes or piece counts, but I can show you pictures of what I have made.

Clue 1

Clue 2

Clue 3

Clue 4